Stock Market CD
The Stock Market CD is a certificate of deposit whose yield is tied to the S&P 500 Index.1 It gives you the opportunity to participate in the stock market's potential growth, in a limited manner, without putting your deposit at risk.
- Pursue higher performance; the interest generated is based on the Standard and Poor's 500 Index.
- Principal insured by the FDIC.2
- 5-year term.
- Minimum opening balance: $1,000.
- Once the instrument is opened, no additional deposits are allowed.
- Penalties for withdrawals or cancellations before maturity during the first year equivalent to 30% of the principal; 25% of the principal during the second year; 20% of the principal during the third year; 15% of the principal during the fourth year; and, 10% of the principal during the fifth year. Treasury Department penalties may apply.
- The following method is used to compute interest: First, the Stock Market value of the S&P 500 Index is obtained on the business day immediately prior to the date of the opening of the account (Initial Index Value). From that moment on, the S&P 500 Index is recorded and maintained, from the date of the final Stock Market business day of each month during the term of the account (End of Month Index Value). At maturity, the averages of the End of Month Index Values during the term are computed by adding the End of Month Values and dividing that sum by 60 to determine the Average Index Value. Then the percentage increase of the S&P 500 Index, if any, is computed by taking the Average Index Value and subtracting the Initial Index Value and dividing the result by the Initial Index Value. If the Average Index Value is equal or less than the Initial Index Value, no interest will be paid.
- If deposits are made or accounts opened using non-cash items (i.e. checks), interest begins to accrue on the business day on which the transaction takes place.
- The interest payable is 1.25 (125%) of the percentage increase in the S&P 500 to a maximum of 40%, with no guarantee of a minimum return at maturity.
- Interest will be computed at a rate based on changes in the Standard & Poor’s 500 over the term and will be computed and credited only at maturity.
- Upon maturity, the account does not automatically become another Stock Market CD. At maturity it renews to a 5-year Regular CD account at the interest rate that Banco Popular offers for CD deposits of that term at the time.
- "Standard & Poor's", "S&P", "S&P500", "Standard & Poor's 500" and "500" are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor's, a division of McGraw-Hill, Inc. Banco Popular uses each trademark under license.
- Processing fee is $5 per instrument on withdrawals and returns for excess of contributions; and $25 per instrument for rollovers to an eligible institution.
For more information on CDs and current interest rates, please call TeleBanco Popular® at (787) 724-3654 or 1-888-724-3654 or visit your local branch.
”Standard & Poor’s®”, “S&P 500®”, “Standard & Poor’s 500” and “500” are trademarks of McGraw Hill, Inc. and have been licensed by the Bank, its subsidiaries and affiliates.
Principal assured up to $250,000 by the FDIC.
Find the perfect account for you
Compare our checking and electronic accounts.
Switching is easy
Switch your account to Banco Popular.
Got your new ATH card?
Log in to
My Online Bank
, click on "Account Services" and activate it online.
Branches & ATMs
Get addresses, maps, driving directions, phone numbers and business hours for our ATMs, branches and other facilities.